Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tongariro Crossing

Today was the big hike for the North island.  We got up super early and did Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a 19.4 km trek up and over some volcanoes in the Tongariro National Park.  I started out the day thinking to myself that this should be a pretty easy hike, and now that I am ending the day, and my legs are sore all over, I retract my previous statement.  I'd compare It to half dome, and actually, it's quite a bit shorter since Half Dome is 16 miles.  But it is steep and all hills.  There are at least three uphill battles one has to do.  The first is obviously the toughest, but the trail is very well maintained and the trekkers are numerous.

Upon reaching the top, the view of the whole area from whence you came can be enjoyed.  We were very lucky to have a clear day, so we could see the summit and the valley below.  You get to climb over another ridge, and see below a beautiful caldera of red and gray rock, an opening to the mountain's fury below.  Coming down from that ridge, you are greeted by a treacherous downhill of soft sand and loose rocks.  But below are 3 wonderously green lakes at the bottom which are the source of the water for the various rivers flowing down.  Up another ridge and you get a view of the most recent lava flow and the other side of the valley. 

And at this point, there are still 8 km to go.  It's endless steps and switchbacks for the next 3 hours, and by the end of it, I feel week and sore, but it was definitely worth the adventure.  I can see why this hike is so popular.

1 comment:

  1. You've learned well, grasshopper. 👍
    Merry Christmas Eve Eve! 🎄
    ♥U, Dad.

    ReplyDelete